An emergency can strike anywhere and at any time. The best way to prepare for these unexpected emergencies to is make a plan and have it ready. Making a plan could not just save your home, but could also save your life and the life of your family members. With the following advice from Collins Comfort Masters Plumbing, you will be ready for all the possibilities.
Make a Plan
Having a plan that everyone in your home agrees on and understands will help make sure that everyone stays safe in the face of a disaster. This plan should include:
- The phone number for an emergency plumber, gas utility, and electric company
- How to shut off the water main when there is a need for leak repair
- Where to go and what to do if your house catches fire
- Where to meet if not all family members are at home during the emergency
- Contact information for all household members
- A plan for evacuation if necessary
Prepare a Kit
Preparing a kit will also help ensure the safety, health, and well-being of everyone in your home, including your animal companions.
Most households actually need two kits: one for evacuation and one for sheltering in place. These kits should include:
- A three-day evacuation kit for your car with three days’ worth of medication, water, and ready-to-eat-foods for people and pets
- A shelter-in-place kit with at least two weeks worth of supplies
- At least a half tank of gasoline in your vehicle
- An emergency battery-operated radio and weather radio
- A list of radio stations to listen to for local emergency information
No one ever wants to have to deal with an emergency plumbing repair, fire, or any other catastrophic situation. However, making and sticking with a sensible plan can save your property and reduce the impact that any emergency has on your life.
For more information on how our Mesa plumbers at Collins Comfort Masters Plumbing can help you make a plan, call us at 480-655-7575.